commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [math] Name of the new TLP
Date Wed, 03 Feb 2016 02:24:09 GMT
On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 12:11:24 +1100, Peter Ansell wrote:
> On 3 February 2016 at 11:30, Patrick Meyer <meyerjp3@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> The Apache commons math library already has a reputation and is well
>> kvown.
>> Any name that does not involve the words Apache and math will
>> require a lot
>> of rebranding or years of explaining to people that the TLP named X
>> is
>> really just the library formerly known as commons math. Removing
>> "commons"
>> from the name is a good way to signal the maturity of the math
>> library
>> while staying true to its Apache origin. That's why I like Apache
>> math.
>
> I don't think that outside of the Apache developer community that the
> "Commons" reference is taken to mean immaturity. If anything, it is
> taken to mean something that is stable and fairly slow to evolve and
> hence can be reused fairly broadly (per the tight scopes of each of
> the modules).

Indeed.
And if establishing is going to serve anything, it is IMHO certainly
not to be stuck with an a priori reputation of "being stable and fairly
slow to evolve".

Commons Math has been steadily growing, with less and less
consideration
for evolving with the language which it uses. IMO, that means, among
other
things, less and less hope to attract new contributors.
Being a TLP is by itself not going to change that.

If anything, the new project should mean a radical departure of being
stable wrt the latest release.

For users that don't care for new features and are happy with CM 3.6,
no problem; until they find a bug. What happens then should be
discussed
as soon as possible, as the default policy has been to support only the
latest release.

To change that, more people are needed to maintain legacy code while
not hindering development, including major refactoring to modernize
the code.

> FWIW, the word "Math" on its own is fairly geographically localised.
> The base word Mathematics is less localised. However, given that the
> module has always been known as "Math", there are no qualms from me
> in
> staying with that term.

Staying with the old name is much less of a problem than staying
with the old ways.

Gilles