commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [math] Name of the new TLP
Date Mon, 25 Jan 2016 13:24:56 GMT
On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 13:41:46 +0100, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> Le 25/01/2016 13:21, Gilles a écrit :
>
>>  * AJaMa
>> ?
>>
>> The last one is short while fully descriptive:
>>   AJaMa
>>    is
>> the Apache JAva MAthematics library
>
> This one will probably sound too similar with Jama, another math
> library:
>
> http://math.nist.gov/javanumerics/jama/

I made the proposal knowing about this.

A few years ago, the JAMA project had been declared dead (although I do
not
find the announcement page).
Anyways, it has not been updated since November 2012.
To be sure we could ask them.

A similar sounding name could be taken as a tribute... ;-)

> Will the new TLP focus on Java libraries exclusively or will it be
> open
> to implementations in other languages?

This is also a fundamental question.

Given that we could not even agree to evolve with the JDK (last release
of
CM had to be Java *5* source-compatible!), it would be a (bad) joke (or
revolution!) to throw other languages into the discussion.

Gilles