commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [math] Volunteer for the new TLP PMC
Date Mon, 25 Jan 2016 13:05:59 GMT
On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 13:54:51 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
> Please respond to this thread if you are a Commons Committer
> interested in joining the PMC for the new TLP based on [math].
>
> Thanks!
>
> Phil

I'm interested in as much as I'm being curious to see if it
will change anything! :-}

There were a few "negative" arguments, that is was better to
stop "annoying" the other Commons projects. [To which some
responded that they'd prefer the status quo.]

The rationale concerning the size, scope, and management of
Commons Math, (and how different it was from all the other
Commons components), I had brought up on several occasions in
the past.

What has changed?

What are the "positive" arguments?

To be crystal-clear, if the new PMC is composed of the same
people who are the regular contributors to the Commons Math
project, i.e. with the same confronting blocks, I don't see
from where the incentive towards a different development policy
will come.

Various points have been brought up in (too often heated)
discussions (JDK version, development and release policies
such as compatibility, refactoring, multi-threading, exception
handling, etc.).

I think that the volunteers for the new PMC should list their
opinion on fundamental issues that obviously define a "vision"
of the project.

Lacking clear goals[1] is not going to help in any way.
At this point, we can expect administrative chores.
Wouldn't it be a pity to do all that work just to get a new
name?

Regards,
Gilles

[1] There can be seemingly contradictory goals as long as they
     are acknowledged and do not hamper each other (like I've
     expressed in other posts) and sufficient resources exist to
     handle them.