commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [math] Name of the new TLP
Date Mon, 25 Jan 2016 12:21:26 GMT
On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 11:40:48 +0000, sebb wrote:
> On 25 January 2016 at 09:28, luc <luc@spaceroots.org> wrote:
>> Le 2016-01-25 08:52, Benedikt Ritter a écrit :
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I very much like the idea of taking the name of a famous
>>> mathematician.
>
> In which case it has to be
>
> Euclid or Pythagoras (early)
> or
> Paul Erdős - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erd%C5%91s_number
>
> and everyone has heard of
> John Nash (Beautiful Mind)

I'd rather not have a person's name for the project; as was said
before, it will carry meaning that could be misleading.

> etc.
> In the spirit of recent discussions, how about a RNG to pick the
> mathematician's name for each next incarnation?
>
> ;-)

On the other hand, this is really a good idea for naming releases! :-)

>>> If it has to be some thing more descriptive: Apache Commons
>>> HttpClient
>>> went
>>> to Apache HttpComponents. How about Apache Math Components as TLP
>>> name?
>
> I quite like Apache Epsilon as a non-descriptive but related name.
>
> [ducks behind bikshed]

What about
  * MathBlocks
  * MathModules
  * modMath
  * AJaMa
?

The last one is short while fully descriptive:
   AJaMa
    is
the Apache JAva MAthematics library

Regards,