commons-dev mailing list archives

From Al Chou <hotfusion...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: [math][all] Archaeology pre-git
Date Tue, 12 Jan 2016 12:27:55 GMT
On Tuesday, January 12, 2016 1:42 AM, Luc Maisonobe <luc@spaceroots.org> wrote:

Le 11/01/2016 23:11, Phil Steitz a écrit :> Now and then I want to go back and research
how the code got to be> the way it is.  I used to be able to just jump into the old>
svn-viewc thingy.  That is now blocked with a message that just says> "math is in git
now."  That is great; but when I go back in the git> log, it always ends when whatever
branch was created that I am> looking at.  How can I find the full history?
It seems strange. I just did a "git checkout field-ode" and "git log"and the list did go past
the branch creation.
What I usually do for looking in large history with several branchesat once is "git log -30
--branches --oneline --decorate --graph",of course any number of commits other than 30 can
be used.

Not that I ever use it, but I have this alias in my .gitconfig to do in the terminal what
GUI's like gitk and SourceTree (which I personally adore, though GitUp is more powerful in
sometimes-important ways) do:
lol = "log --graph --decorate --pretty=oneline --abbrev-commit --all"
You can append the number-of-commits argument (e.g., -30) to it.
Its output is indistinguishable from that of Luc's command above in the repo that I tested
them with.  You can obviously use the command without defining it as an alias:
git log --graph --decorate --pretty=oneline --abbrev-commit --all

For any git command, like log, you can display its documentationby adding a "--help" *after*
the command name, as in "git log --help".

Or do "git help log".

best regards,Luc

Al