commons-dev mailing list archives

From luc <...@spaceroots.org>
Subject Re: [math] Name of the new TLP
Date Mon, 25 Jan 2016 09:28:42 GMT
Le 2016-01-25 08:52, Benedikt Ritter a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I very much like the idea of taking the name of a famous mathematician.
> If it has to be some thing more descriptive: Apache Commons HttpClient
> went
> to Apache HttpComponents. How about Apache Math Components as TLP name?
>
> Benedikt

>> Umbrella-ish is good.  Linear algebra, genetic algorithms, neural
>> networks, clustering, monte carlo, simplex...These need an umbrella.
>> Some
>> of the other Apache projects that do math may be interested in moving
>> that
>> piece under the Apache Math umbrella.
>>
>> Personally I like to see each in a separate repository dedicated to
>> the
>> subject, along with the corresponding documentation, etc  So:
>> apache-math (Central repository describing the project as a whole with
>> the
>> documentation that cuts across modules)
>> apache-math-linear-real
>> apache-math-linear-field
>> apache-math-optimization-genetic
>> apache-math-optimization-simplex
>> etc.
>>
>> And hopefully:
>> apache-math-optimization-integer
>> apache-math-optimization-mixed
>> And more..
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Ole
>>

>> On 01/24/2016 04:41 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:

>>> It's not taken; but I thought it was too broad-sounding and in fact
>>> umbrella-ish.  There are other ASF projects that do math-relates
>>> things.  I
>>> think adding "components" makes it look more like a library of base
>>> components that other math-related projects can use.
>>>
>>> Phil

I would be happy with either Math Components or Math.
Also I do favor fancy acronyms that read exactly as well known
names (23 years ago, the name of my first mathematics library was
an acronym that read "Cantor"), it is probably not a good idea for
this new TLP.

In any case, the project will most probably be de facto an umbrella
project as modularizing it seems in the current mood.

best regards,
Luc