commons-dev mailing list archives

From luc <...@spaceroots.org>
Subject Re: [3/4] [math] Fixed checkstyle warnings.
Date Mon, 02 Nov 2015 15:18:34 GMT
Le 2015-11-02 16:00, Gilles a écrit :
> Hi.
>
> On Mon, 02 Nov 2015 14:35:09 -0000, luc@apache.org wrote:
>> Fixed checkstyle warnings.
>>
>> These warnings correspond to redundant modifiers (public, static,
>> ...).
>
> It is not clear to me why they are redundant.

This is explained here:

<http://checkstyle.sourceforge.net/config_modifier.html#RedundantModifier>

>> They are identified by recent versions of checkstyle, in particular
>> the
>> one shipped with Eclipse. They are not detected by our
>> maven-checkstyle-plugin yet because it is not the latest one and still
>> depends on an older version of checkstyle.
>
> Wouldn't have it been better to first update the plugin, so we can all
> have the opportunity to understand the problems?

Until very recently, even the latest maven-checkstyle-plugin did not
depend on a recent-enough version of the checkstyle tool. The tool
evolves quite fast and it is difficult to keep track. Unfortunately,
on the Eclipse side they did depend on a recent version of the tool,
but I was not able to find which one.

Anyway, the checks will change at one point or another, and the
RedundantModifier check was activated in our checkstyle.xml since
a long time ago, as it was quite interesting. For all the checks we
have activated, up to now we have trusted the guys who make the tool
and only set up comment filter when there are false positive (there
are a few false positive in our project). One or two commits more are
in the pipe for this to deal with the new false positives that triggered
test failures on serialization.

best regards,
Luc