commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brosius <dbros...@mebigfatguy.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept Naomi
Date Fri, 30 Oct 2015 12:03:46 GMT
Emmanuel,

I understand where your opinions come from, and respect your arguments.
I generally agree with your sentiments, that run of the mill 'github
projects' should not be added to Apache willy-nilly.

I think this contribution however is not the run-of-the-mill type, nor
are the contributors. Both Norm and Jeff are retiring engineers with
long and distinquished careers, having made _significant_ contributions
to computer science. That they would like to contribute something to
Apache, i take as quite an honor, myself. Your concerns over how will a
community be built, and what level of involvement will the original
authors give, is normally quite valid, but in this case, begs for some
exceptions.

This project is really quite promising, in my opinion. That it is a bit
rough around the edges, is valid, but that it is a fluent, ease of use
library over a potentially difficult area is really what Apache tends to
do quite often. Apache as an organization is good at taking good ideas
that perhaps are not in perfect shape, and turning them into
professional libraries. This is something this library would do well for.

I certainly respect your opinion, but would ask that you reconsider, if
possible.

---dave