commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [MATH] ComplexUtils pull request; some future proposals
Date Fri, 30 Oct 2015 02:15:20 GMT
Hello.

On Thu, 29 Oct 2015 20:24:56 +0100, Luc Maisonobe wrote:
> Le 28/10/2015 17:33, Eric Barnhill a écrit :
>> Dear all,
>
> Hi Eric,
>

>> Thanks for the feedback on ComplexUtils and I have submitted a pull
>> request
>> with the edits.
>
> I have pulled this request into our git repository, with minor edits.
> The changes are mainly removing tabs and trailing blanks, and fixing
> some javadocs.
>
> In the initialize methods, I have also replaced the construction of
> a bunch of new Complex(0, 0) with the reuse of the constant
> Complex.ZERO. As our complex instances are immutable, it seemed
> better
> to me this way.
>
> For now, it is in a dedicated branch named
> complex-and-primitive-arrays,
> so the pull request may not close automatically as it is not on
> master.
>
> Do other developers agree with merging this branch to master?

There are some problems with the Javadoc (wrong "@return" comment).
Not all local variables that are constant are declared "final".

Shouldn't independent changes be performed in separate commits?
[Referring to "IntegerSequence" and "LaguerreSolver".]

Actually, I don't like the new "size" method in "IntegerSequence".
Although the number of elements is needed in the new methods in
ComplexUtils, I don't think that we should advertise the functionality
in its current (necessarily) poor implementation.

A better alternative is to have an instance that will hold the
number of elements it contains:

Best regards,
Gilles