commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [Math] Utilitzation of SLF4J?
Date Sat, 26 Sep 2015 16:42:31 GMT
On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 09:03:06 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
> On 9/26/15 4:56 AM, Thomas Neidhart wrote:

question.
to add some
of CM (e.g. JUL

were deemed

add logging

Java 7

> [...]
>>> situation,
>>> not the library's developer.
>>> In the context of that asynchronous collaboration, the role of the
>>> library's developer is to carefully choose what *could* be
>>> interesting, if the need should arise.
>>>
>>> So, can we eventually discuss the _technical_ arguments against
>>> logging inside CM, rather than personal opinion?
>> again, what I want to see is an example what *should* be logged in
>> the
>> case of an algorithm. Take the LevenbergMarquardtOptimizer as an
>> example:
>>
>>  * what did you log using System.out.println()?
>>  * the algo computes a lot of internal data, which of these is
>> interesting for debugging problems or for general logging?
>>  * there are various branches the algo can take, are just some
>> interesting to log, or all of them?
>>
>> the use-cases presented so far were mainly about debugging specific
>> problems, and I am *strongly* against adding logging information
>> just
>> for this purpose as you are clearly facing a dilemma here:
>>
>>  you have to log *everything* an algo does as otherwise you might
>> miss
>> the part that creates problems
>>
>>  but logging everything is not useful for a standard user of the
>> library
>> so it contradicts the original proposal to include logging
>>
>> Again, CM is not an application where you need to log what it is
>> doing,
>> but a bunch of algorithms and utility methods to perform certain
>> calculations. I fail to see the need to add logging. What could be
>> useful, and we had requests like that in the past, is to observe the
>> state of a certain algorithm and to decide how to proceed in certain
>> cases.
>>
>> That is useful for users.
>>
>> Another useful addition would be to add more aggressive assertions.
>> If
>> one user encounters a problem, he/she could run the application with
>> assertions enabled and spot potential problems e.g. due to wrong
>> input.
>>
>> Logging is a solution for a non existing problem imho.
>> Logging will not avoid the need to debug CM in case of problems
>> imho.
>
> +1
> The other thing I would add is that the one place where it does make
> sense to dump text is in exception error messages, which is a place
> where I think we could really improve things.  Fortunately, that is
> fairly easily done.
>
> I have seen nothing in this thread to convince me that adding
> logging in [math] will be net positive for either those of us who
> maintain the component or for users.  If we are not providing clear
> exception error messages and/or APIs (with complete documentation)
> so that users can understand what they need to debug their
> applications, then we should focus on solving those problems.

First, you carefully do not reply to any of the concrete arguments
given in this thread, second you give a conclusion to an issue not
reported in this thread: exceptions and logging do not provide the
same service.

At least, I'd wish that people sharing their own opinion (it's
nothing more since _zero_ technical argument against logging have
been put forth) stop taking the collective "users" on their side.
As for *actual* users/maintainers, Ole and I have a need, while
Thomas and you haven't.  Those are all the facts that exist until
now.

In such a situation, what do we do as a project; maintain the status
quo, or try for a change?
On numerous occasions over the years, the status quo was enforced;
and I don't see that it benefited the project in terms of new
contributors.
So I'm +1 for trying to change, for a change.

Gilles