commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Version number for next commons-io
Date Mon, 21 Sep 2015 17:23:03 GMT
On 9/19/15 9:55 AM, sebb wrote:
> On 19 September 2015 at 17:26, Kristian Rosenvold <krosenvold@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Just to be clear on this, the breach is adding an interface to
>> Oops. The breach is adding a /method/.
> That's what I assumed - adding a method to an interface does not
> affect binary compat.

I am +1 for avoiding the repackaging if this is in fact very low
incidence, but calling it binary compatible is a bit of a stretch
(unless I am missing something), since it seems to me that this will
result in RTE if dropped in if a user supplies a listener that does
not implement the new method, which pretty much all "old" listeners
would not.  So anyone who uses the listener *must* add the
implementation and recompile.  Am I missing something here?
Definitely want to cover this in release notes, since for those who
use TailerListeners, unless they add the new method, they will get
unexpected RTE at EOF.

Phil