commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [Math] Utilitzation of SLF4J?
Date Fri, 25 Sep 2015 15:09:56 GMT
On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 07:28:48 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
> On 9/25/15 7:03 AM, Gilles wrote:
>> On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 15:54:14 +0200, Thomas Neidhart wrote:
>>> Hi Ole,
>>>
>>> for a start, I think you are asking the wrong question.
>>> First of all we need to agree that we want to add some kind of
>>> logging
>>> facility to CM.
>>> If the outcome is positive, there are a handful of alternatives,
>>> some of
>>> them more viable than slf4j in the context of CM (e.g. JUL or
>>> commons-logging).
>>
>> Could someone summarize why those alternatives were deemed "more
>> viable"?
>>
>>> btw. the same discussion has been done for other commons
>>> components as
>>> well, and the result usually was: do not add logging
>>
>> What was the rationale?
>
> Look at the archives.  We have discussed this multiple times in the
> past in [math] and each time came to the conclusion that Thomas
> succinctly states above.  What has changed now?

We also discussed several times to stick with Java 5.
Fortunately, that has changed. [Although sticking with Java 7 is still
a bad decision IMHO.]

As for logging, IIRC, the sole argument was "no dependency" because
(IIRC) of the potential "JAR hell".

If there are now well-formed answers proving that the fear was
unfounded, that is also a change.

IMO, logging is quite important for any "non-obvious" code.[1]
[I'm again stating that, in that respect, CM is not like the other
"Commmons" components.]

Several times, I've been obliged to create a modified version of CM
to introduce "print" statements (poor man's logging!) in order to
figure out why my code did not do what it was supposed to.
It also makes a code easier to debug while developing or modifying it
(without resorting to poor man's logging, then deleting the "print",
then reinstating them, then deleting them again, ad nauseam).

Gilles

[1] No quality or complexity judgment implied.