commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] Negative max in class Incrementor
Date Sat, 29 Aug 2015 02:25:12 GMT

On 08/28/2015 04:29 PM, Gilles wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 11:48:28 -0500, Ole Ersoy wrote:
>> This is a side note.  In the class Incrementor there's a
>> MaxCountExceededCallback that triggers the MaxCountExceededException.
>> It might make sense to place the code that throws the exception in a
>> static utility method inside the exception, eliminating the cb
>> property, the MaxCountExceededCallback interface, and corresponding
>> Incrementor constructor.  So we could do:
>>
>> public void incrementCount() throws MaxCountExceededException() {
>>    MaxCountExceededException.throw(++count, max);
>> }
>
> The callback is intended to let the user choose which action the counter
> exhaustion should trigger. IIRC your proposal, this would not be possible
> anymore.
OK - Got it.  I too easily associated the 'MaxCountExceeded' callback with the MaxCountExceededException.
 My first thought was that (Even though the doc says otherwise) if the max is exceeded, then
this is bad, and so an exception should be triggered.  How about removing the MaxCountExceededException
and using a more "Stream" like interface?:

emitter.on('start', cb);
emitter.on('increment', cb);
emitter.on('end', cb);

Cheers,
- Ole

P.S.
Plus one for "Incrementor(long start, long max).