commons-dev mailing list archives

From Siegfried Goeschl <siegfried.goes...@it20one.com>
Subject Re: how to refine programming skill
Date Fri, 10 Jul 2015 16:26:51 GMT
Hi Daniel,

IMHO the best approach is picking an Apache Commons (or any other OSS) project you have a
special interest in, e.g. you are using it at work or have implemented something similar and
would like to improve it a bit. The improvement could be documentation, answering emails,
a bug fix or a new feature :-)

What I usually do

- pick the project of my choice
- build the project and have a close look at the tests
- subscribe to the user & developer mailing list & JIRA
- read the stuff on the mailing list to get a better understanding
- fix a simple bug or improve the user documentation
- answer incoming question on the mailing list
- after a while I have a good understanding of the project and the developer community

But again - working on an arbitrary OSS project (just to refine my skills) does not work for
me since I have to have a good reason to spent my time. So over the time I move from one project
to another one ...

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl