commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] discussing ebe like functions for MathArrays
Date Sun, 05 Jul 2015 14:20:30 GMT
On 7/5/15 12:44 AM, Luc Maisonobe wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A few days ago, several pull requests arrived from github
> (<https://github.com/apache/commons-math/pull/6>,
> <https://github.com/apache/commons-math/pull/7>,
> <https://github.com/apache/commons-math/pull/8> and
> <https://github.com/apache/commons-math/pull/9>). They
> concern ebe-like functions for MathArrays.
>
> I was ready to commit them, but have second thoughts now. Wouldn't it
> be better to have rather an API like:
>
>   MathArrays.map(UnivariateFunction f, double[] a)
>
> and
>
>   MathArrays.map(BivariateFunction f, double[] a, double[] b)
>
> It would avoid adding a bunch of functions.
>
> There were already concerns about inflating API in RealVector
> a few years ago and I would prefer not doing again the same errors.
>
> What do you think?

Two quick comments:

1. +1 for general weight control.  MathArrays has a big obesity
risk.  We used to try to limit it to things that are actually needed
inside [math] and sometimes I think it would be best to go back to
that rule.

2.  I can't find it right now, but I vaguely recall earlier
discussion on the smelliness of the ebe methods.  Might be worth
looking through the archives.

Phil