commons-dev mailing list archives

From Benedikt Ritter <brit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ByteSizeUnit a la TimeUnit
Date Wed, 17 Jun 2015 13:25:40 GMT

> I'd be happy to donate these if we want them:
>

> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/tomitribe/tomitribe-util/master/src/main/java/org/tomitribe/util/SizeUnit.java
>
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/tomitribe/tomitribe-util/master/src/test/java/org/tomitribe/util/SizeUnitTest.java
>
> Which commons lib would these go in?  (can send a patch)

Very nice! We would add this to Commons IO. You can contribute via github,
if you like [1]. There are a few things to take into account imho:

- Differenciate between decimal and binary prefixes, e.g. 1 Megabyte = 1000
Kilobyte, but 1 Mebibyte = 1024 Kibibyte. Not sure whether this is really
that important.
- Petta, Exa, Zetta and Yotta prefixes are missing. At least Petta my
become important soon.
- What about translations to bits? For example band width are often
calculated in Mega Bits/sec
- What about overflows when translating for example Exabytes to Bytes? The
result won't fit into a long.

I've also put an enum together but without translation logic, because of
the overflow problem [2]. Maybe the implementations can be merged some how?

Benedikt

[1] https://github.com/apache/commons-io
[2]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12694350/IO-294_FileSizeUnit.patch