commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Release imaging in its current state? (or release it never...)
Date Tue, 12 May 2015 00:06:03 GMT
On 5/11/15 11:27 AM, Benedikt Ritter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> over the past few month I've been working on [imaging]. Looking through the
> list of FindBugs and Checkstyle issues, I wonder what we should do with
> imaging. The code doesn't meet our quality requirements, yet people seem to
> be using imaging.
>
> I wonder if we should simply release [imaging] in it's current state,
> because I'm afraid fixing all of the FindBugs and Checksytle issues would
> require a redesign.

I would worry less about style nits and more about whether or not we
are going to be able to respond to bug reports post-release.  Unless
some (ideally more than one) volunteer is willing to step up to
actually support the code, we should not release it.  We have
learned that lesson over and over again.  If you are game to really
learn it (or already have), are willing to support it and feel like
it is functionally in good enough shape to release, I would say go
for it; but if you are just looking to cut a release so people can
stop depending on snapshots, I would say back to the snap-o-phobes
"Come help build a community around this thing!"

Phil