commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [math] Apachecon slides
Date Mon, 06 Apr 2015 13:19:41 GMT
Hi Phil.

On Sun, 05 Apr 2015 13:25:02 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback and contributions!
>
> I added a disclaimer making it clear that the challenges / lessons
> learned stuff was just one contributor's view.  The content is now
> pretty much complete (unless someone has some awesome better example
> I can swap in).  I would appreciate a review of the completed
> optimization slides and both the final challenges and lessons
> learned slides.  I will wait a few days to upload the slides so I
> can clean them up some more and incorporate any feedback I get.
>
> Anyone who wants to review but does not want to fuss with
> tex/beamer, shoot me a note and I will cut a pdf based on master
> when I get the request.

After this:

---CUT---
public PAIR optimize(OptimizationData... optData)
---CUT---

you could perhaps add one or two slides (to indicate the current
state of affairs and what remains to be implemented for the next
major release); something along the following lines:

---CUT---
Decision: Refactor of all classes in "o.a.c.m.optim"

* Phase out "OptimizationData"
* Use "fluent" API
* Separate optimization problem from optimization procedure

New ideas (brought forward by our most recent committer, Evan Ward)
experimented on least-squares optimizers:
* LevenbergMarquardtOptimizer
* GaussNewtonOptimizer

New classes/interfaces in "o.a.c.m.fitting.leastsquares":
* LeastSquaresProblem and LeastSquaresProblem.Evaluation
* LeastSquaresOptimizer and LeastSquaresOptimizer.Optimum
* LeastSquaresFactory
* LeastSquaresBuilder
* LevenbergMarquardtOptimizer
* GaussNewtonOptimizer
* AbstractEvaluation
* ...

Usage:

final LeastSquaresProblem problem = LeastSquaresFactory.create( /* ...
*/ );
final LeastSquaresOptimizer optim = new LevenbergMarquardtOptimizer( /*
... */ );
final Optimum result = optim.optimize(problem);

Yet to be done (before next major release?): Refactor all the other
optimizers.
---CUT---

Regards,
Gilles