commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dominik Stadler <cen...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [COMPRESS and others] FW: Any interest in running Apache Tika as part of CommonCrawl?
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2015 20:06:39 GMT
Hi,

I have now published a first version of a tool to download binary data
of certain file types from the Common Crawl URL Index. Currently it
only supports the previous index format, so the data is from around
2012/2013, but this also provides tons of files for mass-testing of
our frameworks.

I used a small part of the files to run some integration testing
locally and immediately found a few issues where specially formatted
files broke Apache POI.

The project is currently available at
https://github.com/centic9/CommonCrawlDocumentDownload, it has options
for downloading files as well as first retrieving a list of all
interesting files and then downloading them later. But it should also
be easily possible to change it so it processes the files on-the-fly
(if you want to spare the estimated >300G of disk space it will need
for example to store files interesting for Apache POI testing).

Naturally running this on Amazon EC2 machines can speed up the
downloading a lot as then the network access to Amazon S3 is much
faster.

Please give it a try if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Dominik.

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 2:48 PM, Allison, Timothy B. <tallison@mitre.org> wrote:
> All,
>
>   We just heard back from a very active member of Common Crawl.  I don’t want to clog
up our dev lists with this discussion (more than I have!), but I do want to invite all to
participate in the discussion, planning and potential patches.

>   If you’d like to participate, please join us here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/common-crawl/Cv21VRQjGN0
>
>   I’ve tried to follow Commons’ vernacular, and I’ve added [COMPRESS] to the Subject
line.  Please invite others who might have an interest in this work.

>          Best,
>
>                      Tim

 I don’t want to speak for all of us, but given the feedback I’ve gotten so far from some
of the dev communities, I think we would very much appreciate the chance to be tested on a
monthly basis as part of the regular Common Crawl process.

>    I think we’ll still want to run more often in our own sandbox(es) on the slice of
CommonCrawl we have, but the monthly testing against new data, from my perspective at least,
would be a huge win for all of us.

>    In addition to parsing binaries and extracting text, Tika (via PDFBox, POI and many
others) can also offer metadata (e.g. exif from images), which users of CommonCrawl might
find of use.

>   I’ll forward this to some of the relevant dev lists to invite others to participate
in the discussion on the common-crawl list.

dmeikle@apache.org<mailto:dmeikle@apache.org>; tilman@apache.org<mailto:tilman@apache.org>;
nick@apache.org<mailto:nick@apache.org>
> Subject: Re: Any interest in running Apache Tika as part of CommonCrawl?
>
> Hi Tika team!
>
> We'd certainly be interested in working with Apache Tika on such an undertaking. At the
very least, we're glad that Julien has provided you with content to battle test Tika with!

> As you've noted, the text extraction performed to produce WET files are focused primarily
on HTML files, leaving many other file types not covered. The existing text extraction is
quite efficient and part of the same process that generates the WAT file, meaning there's
next to no overhead. Performing extraction with Tika at the scale of Common Crawl would be
an interesting challenge. Running it as a once off wouldn't likely be too much of a challenge
and would also give Tika the benefit of a wider variety of documents (both well formed and
malformed) to test against. Running it on a frequent basis or as part of the crawl pipeline
would be more challenging but something we can certainly discuss, especially if there's strong
community desire for it!

> On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 5:23 AM, <tallison314159@gmail.com<mailto:tallison314159@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> CommonCrawl currently has the WET format that extracts plain text from web pages.  My
guess is that this is text stripping from text-y formats.  Let me know if I'm wrong!

> Would there be any interest in adding another format: WETT (WET-Tika) or supplementing
the current WET by using Tika to extract contents from binary formats too: PDF, MSWord, etc.

> Julien Nioche kindly carved out 220 GB for us to experiment with on TIKA-1302<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-1302>
on a Rackspace vm.  But, I'm wondering now if it would make more sense to have CommonCrawl
run Tika as part of its regular process and make the output available in one of your standard
formats.

> CommonCrawl consumers would get Tika output, and the Tika dev community (including its
dependencies, PDFBox, POI, etc.) could get the stacktraces to help prioritize bug fixes.