commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [math] threading redux
Date Thu, 23 Apr 2015 01:25:32 GMT
On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 11:33:30 -0500, Ole Ersoy wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 6:05 PM Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>>
>>> There are lots of ways to allow distributed processes to share
>>> common data.  Spark has a very nice construct called a Resilient
>>> Distributed Dataset (RDD) designed for exactly this purpose.
> Are there any examples of a class in commons math where threads have
> to share the data structure?

It's the case for the only example that was mentioned in this thread
with sufficient level of details so as to permit concrete statements:
it's the SOFM implementation (in package "o.a.c.m.ml.neuralnet.sofm").
The shared structure is the "Network" instance.

I've only read the "Spark" examples.  I assume that an alternate
version of "KohonenTrainingTask" would follow the "logistic
regression" example (IIUC).
But isn't that going to create a dependency towards Spark???

Regards,
Gilles