commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [Math] MATH-1210
Date Tue, 17 Mar 2015 18:23:37 GMT
On Tue, 17 Mar 2015 10:35:15 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
> On 3/17/15 5:24 AM, Gilles wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MATH-1210
>>
>> Any objection to applying that patch?
>
> The error message should be more informative if we are going to
> enrich it.  A singularMatrixException with error message "{0} is
> smaller than the minimum ({1})" is a little cryptic.

For me, it's poor man's logging: the important thing for me is that
one can see what went wrong.  But I don't want to rehash that
old discussion. The idea is just to be able to figure out how far
from the threshold the instance falls...

See my other question (about the covariance matrix) where the
discussion could lead to a more interesting improvement (code,
documentation and error reporting).

>  It would be
> better to refer to make explicit what quantity is underflowing.  I
> agree with Hank that it would also be good to report which element
> of the diagonal was below the threshold.

This is done in my working copy (with another "cryptic" message).

Gilles