commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <brunodepau...@yahoo.com.br>
Subject Re: [ALL] Ask for CLA before merging pending GitHub pull requests
Date Thu, 19 Mar 2015 22:46:32 GMT
Hi Mark,
Thanks a lot for clarifying! :)
All the best,Bruno

      From: Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org>
 To: Commons Developers List <dev@commons.apache.org>
 Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2015 5:39 PM
 Subject: Re: [ALL] Ask for CLA before merging pending GitHub pull requests

On 19/03/2015 17:32, Bruno P. Kinoshita wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There is a pending pull request at GitHub to the incubator [text]
> component that I would like to merge. Before doing so, could someone
> confirm whether I have to check if the user has already signed a CLA
> [1], and if not, ask him/her to sign it, please?

Warning: Personal pet peeve ahead. Apologies in advance for the shouting :)

No, no, no, no, NO!

CLAs are NEVER *required* for the ASF to use patch. Section 5 of the
Apache License V2 gives us all the legal permissions we *need* to use a
patch, assuming the conditions of that section are met. There is the
question of what is an intentional submission but it is safe to assume -
unless the author states otherwise - that something submitted via Jira
or a pull request is an intentional submission.

There is a view among many projects that for 'large' contributions is is
prudent to have a CLA on file. I do not share that view. The only folks
we *require* CLAs from are committers.

> IIRC, when users
> submit patches via JIRA it displays an option to donate the code
> submitted via patch to ASF.

We removed that option years ago because it served no purpose (and it
was a PITA to maintain the custom plug-in that implemented it). Again,
section 5 of the ALv2 gives us all the cover we need.

Bugzilla (which pre-dates Jira) has never had such an option.

> If signing CLA's is a requirement for
> GitHub pull requests, maybe we could ping @infra and check with them
> if we could use clabot [2] for that?

No need. Just review the pull request and - if it is acceptable - merge it.

Mark