commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release BCEL 6.0 based on RC3
Date Thu, 19 Feb 2015 18:47:59 GMT
On 19 February 2015 at 17:13, Stian Soiland-Reyes <stain@apache.org> wrote:
> That sounds more like a political release number, I would hope we were
> not too political here (except about Apache values :) )

Not necessarily, my example was about requiring a major bump in JVM version.
Still binary compatible, but might require users to upgrade their host JVM.
Therefore it may be worth flagging the change to end-users via the
version number.

> Changing the major version number should cause Maven/OSGi t
o moan if
> project A needs say bcel 5.1 and another tries to pull in 6.0 - that
> would be the purpose of the major version number change.

AFAIK Maven does not do that.

OSGi may do so; I don't know.

> If there is no binary incompatibility introduced, then it seems
> pointless to enforce such warnings with a new major version in pom.xml
> and friends.

What is the evidence that a major bump causes warnings?

> The nature of the project matters - say an application which is not
> dependended on as a library would be more natural to bump the major
> version when there are significant UI or feature changes.

Yes, and such projects don't really need to pay much attention to
binary compatibility either.

> (This is a very relevant discussion as another thread was just talking
> about updating https://commons.apache.org/releases/versioning.html to
> relate to SemVer)
>

> On 19 February 2015 at 15:38, Emmanuel Bourg <ebourg@apache.org> wrote:
>> Le 19/02/2015 16:29, sebb a écrit :
>>
>>> However, according to SemVer one should bump major version if and only
>>> if breaking compat.
>>> It's only recently that Commons has started discussing whether to use
>>> strict SemVer or not; I don't think it has been agreed for all
>>> components.
>>
>> SemVer provides sane guidelines but I wouldn't follow it religiously. In
>> my opinion a major version bump is ok even if the compatibility is
>> preserved, it can denote major improvements like the ones staged for
>> BCEL 6.0.

+1