commons-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@apache.org>
Subject Multi version JAR files (JEP 238)
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2015 12:02:06 GMT
An unexpected and interesting enhancement proposal for Java 8 and 9 has
just been posted:

    http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/238

It will become possible to ship several versions of the same class
targeting different versions of the JRE in the same jar file.

For Apache Commons this means we would be able to release a single
version of DBCP supporting multiple versions of the JDBC API. I haven't
thought about the other applications for our components but this is
definitely an important evolution of the Java platform that will impact
the way we design APIs.

Emmanuel Bourg