commons-dev mailing list archives

From Alina Ciobanu <alinamaria.ciob...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: [Math] Contributions to the clustering module (maybe GSoC)
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2015 21:36:27 GMT
Hello Thomas,

Thank you for the answer. I hope I will be able to clarify my schedule for the summer in about
a week from now and I will decide whether I should apply to GSoC this year or not. I will
let you know as soon as I can. Until then, I will shortly describe my first ideas below:

1. Spectral clustering [1] - It basically maps the data in a lower-dimensional space (relying
on the eigenvectors of the similarity matrix) and performs (k-means) clustering there. This
method can resolve a wide variety of problems, regardless of the form of the clusters. It
could be implemented efficiently using the Commons Math linear algebra module.

2. Mean shift algorithm [2] - I didn't grasp all the details of the algorithm yet, but I find
it very interesting. As far as I understand, it has been primarily used in pattern recognition
and computer vision. I discovered it while searching for an algorithm that does not require
the number of clusters as input parameter. I think it would be a good addition to Commons
Math besides DBSCAN, from this point of view.

3. Clustering evaluation methods3.1. The Silhouette Coefficient [3] - accounts for the intra-cluster
and inter-cluster distance to assign a score in [-1, 1] to a clustering.3.2. External clustering
evaluation [4] - when gold standard is available for the clustered data, it can be used to
asses the performance of a clustering algorithm.

Suggestions are more than welcome. If you have requests from users for specific clustering
algorithms, please let me know.

Best regards,Alina

[1] http://www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/ML/contents/people/luxburg/publications/Luxburg07_tutorial.pdf[2] http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login.jsp?tp=&arnumber=1055330&url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fxpls%2Fabs_all.jsp%3Farnumber%3D1055330[3] http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0377042787901257[4]
http://nlp.stanford.edu/IR-book/html/htmledition/evaluation-of-clustering-1.html