commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [math] suggestion: introducing getSummary method on descriptive statistics
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2015 16:50:58 GMT
On Thu, 15 Jan 2015 10:02:32 +0100, Adriean Khisbe wrote:
> Hi,
> Working on a project I had to capture current state of a
> DescriptiveStatistics, and choosed to use a StatisticalSummaryValues
> to hold the value.
> I looked it if was possible to do it in one short method call, but
> didn't found the method.
> However I found some equivalent in SummaryStatistics:
>     /**     * Return a {@link StatisticalSummaryValues} instance
> reporting current     * statistics.     * @return Current values of
> statistics     */    public StatisticalSummary getSummary() {
> return new StatisticalSummaryValues(getMean(), getVariance(), getN(),
>              getMax(), getMin(), getSum());    }
> Might be a good thing to port this functionnality in
> DescriptiveStatistics so ones can do        recap.getSummary()instead
> of
>       new StatisticalSummaryValues(recap.getMean(),
> recap.getVariance(), recap.getN(),                    recap.getMax(),
> recap.getMin(), recap.getSum())
> What do you think about this?

Personally, I don't like the "...Values" class.
I think that it should be a private inner class of "SummaryStatistics"
(or package-private).

I wonder whether, to capture the state, we could have a
   Map<DataTypeId, Double> getState()
method, where "DataTypeId" would either be an "enum" or a "String".

Then couldn't "StatisticalSummary" itself be that enum rather than
an interface (since it seems to only enumerate data and have no
"behaviour")?

Regards,
Gilles