commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Math] Next release: 4.0 or 3.5 ?
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2015 14:46:19 GMT
On 7 January 2015 at 08:23, luc <luc@spaceroots.org> wrote:
> Le 2015-01-06 23:13, Gilles a écrit :
>>
>> On Tue, 06 Jan 2015 23:10:33 +0100, Gilles wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> Do we head towards 4.0, starting to implement  the dreaded
>>> breakings?  ;-)
>

> +1, +1, +1, +1  !!!
>
> To be serious, yes, we are really stuck by now and several pending
> changes should be done. We talked about fluent API for optimizers
> and it was too much too squeeze without breaking API. I attempted
> the same for ODE, and here again it was postponed as it touched
> user level interfaces.
>
> I would even say that we should from the beginning change the top
> level package name to 4.0 so users can test earlier the changes as
> we prepare the next version, using only one feature at a time and
> preserving the older release for the other features.

That needs to be done carefully to avoid creating jar hell.
What exactly are you proposing here?

Are you referring to SNAPSHOTs only (in which case caution is only advisable)?

If you are proposing to release jars with the new package name, then
this needs to be done in a separate jar with new Maven coords.

It would be possible to gradually add more packages to the new jar as
the original ones are converted.