commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE][RC1] Release Commons Math 3.4.1
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2015 17:56:46 GMT
On 9 January 2015 at 17:21, Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/9/15 10:06 AM, James Carman wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 12:03 PM, Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> No, must be some issue with the environment or JDK.  I get
>>> consistent, stable success under both Ant and Maven using the 1.5
>>> JDK above.
>> Our CI builds are all fine, right?
>
> I can't explain the results linked above.  I have no idea what maven
> does under the covers to try to simulate a 1.5 build in that
> environment or what 1.5 jdk is actually being used.  The tests
> succeed consistently for me using Oracle 1.5-1.7 JDKs under both Ant
> and Maven.  I did have to down-rev Maven to 3.1.1, get rid of some
> cruft and tweak the Ant build to grab the Hamcrest jars; but the
> test goals succeed consistently.

Maven does not simulate anything.
Instead of running compile and test under its own JDK, it uses the
alternate jdk.

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-compiler-plugin/examples/compile-using-different-jdk.html

I've made this all clearer in the commons-parent-pom docs:

http://commons.apache.org/commons-parent-pom.html
and
http://commons.apache.org/building.html

[May not yet have been published]

Note that Jenkins only failed the tests *once*; other tests (using the
same JDK) have been OK.
As I wrote elsethread, that suggests the tests are not 100% stable.
Or perhaps there is an issue on a specific Jenkins host; I've not
checked which hosts were involved yet.