commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE][LAZY] Migrate Apache Commons Lang to git
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2015 17:55:40 GMT
On 6 January 2015 at 17:24, Benedikt Ritter <britter@apache.org> wrote:
> Hello Sebb,

>> -1
>>
>> When the first components moved to Git, the agreement was that these
>> would be used to iron out any problems and create some documentation
>> to enable developers who know SVN to migrate to Git.
>>

> The procedure I'm following here has been discussed already [1].

That was after the original discussions.

>> AFAICT there is no such documentation.
>>
>> It does not have to be extensive, just some details of commonly used
>> SVN commands and their Git equivalents.
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> svn co, ci, status, diff, revert
>> How to create a tag
>>

> I'm not going to create such a "how to use git" documentation. I think
> everyone of us is capable of using google, stackoverflow and man pages.
> What you're looking for may be [2].

Thanks, that's useful.

>> Also what changes are needed to the pom.
>>

> The only thing that has to be changed is the scm information (Luc, correct
> me, if I'm wrong here).

Yes, but a worked example would help.
Git seems to have lots of different URLs for the same thing.

>> This would probably be best done as a Wiki page, at least initially.
>>

> I think it is sufficient to update our release guide [3,4] to contain the
> equivalent git commands.

That needs to be done, yes, but I was referring to developer use of
Git; creating and applying patches etc.

> Since I'm the only one who has released [lang] for
> a year now and the [math] people already know how to do it, I don't see
> this as super critical. Or are you planning to RM for [lang] any time soon?

No, I was not planning to RM Lang.

However I would like to be able to commit fixes etc without having to
spend a lot of time learning new commands.

> Would you be willing to withdraw your -1 if the release guide is updated?

Yes, of course.