commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [collections] COLLECTIONS-551
Date Thu, 29 Jan 2015 12:09:44 GMT
On 29 January 2015 at 10:57, Gonçalo Marques
<goncalodinismarques@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm creating this thread in order to discuss issue COLLECTIONS-551.
>
> I don't know the deprecation policies of the Commons project in detail, but
> based on the last comment posted by Thomas on issue COLLECTIONS-550 I
> assume that:
>
> In the next release (4.1):
>
>  - Methods using Iterables in CollectionUtils should be replicated into
> IterableUtils;
>
>  - Methods in CollectionUtils should be transformed into delegates to the
> ones copied to IterableUtils;
>
>  - Methods in CollectionUtils should be marked as @Depreated.
>
> In release 5:

>  - Methods in CollectionUtils shall be removed.

If this is done, the package name and Maven coordinates need to be changed.

So delegate removal should only be done when there are other more
fundamental API changes.

> IMO the Unit Tests related with these methods should be copied into
> IterableUtilsTest, but should also be kept in CollectionUtilsTest until
> version 5. This way we also guarantee that the delegates in CollectionUtils
> don't break in 4.1.

Good point regarding tests.

[The delegate tests should have @IgnoreWarnings("Deprecation") ]