commons-dev mailing list archives

From Benedikt Ritter <brit...@apache.org>
Subject [ALL] Copy Paste error in the src assembly descriptor of some (all?) projects
Date Fri, 02 Jan 2015 20:32:16 GMT
Hi all,

I've just noticed that there is an error in some of our src assembly
descriptors, which seems to have found it's way into several of our
components. I have only checked compress, lang, imaging and io but they all
have the same error. Take for example [lang]. In src/main/assembly/src.xml
we have the following line:

<baseDirectory>${project.artifactId}-${commons.release.version}-src</baseDirectory>

when we build a release, this will create a tarbal with name
commons-lang3-3.3.2-src.tar.gz (for the 3.3.2 release). Inside that archive
will be a folder with name commons-lang3-3.3.2-src.
However if we build the trunk the created tarbal will have the name
commons-lang3-3.4-SNAPSHOT-src.tar.gz but the folder inside the archive
will have the name commons-lang3-3.3.2-src. This is because we usually only
update the commons.release.version property when we roll out a new release
and currently it is still set to 3.3.2.

Further more the descriptor for the binary distribution does not define a
baseDirectory, so the build process defaults to project.build.finalName for
the base directory. The build will create a archive with name
commons-lang3-3.4-SNAPSHOT-bin.tar.gz when building from trunk and the
contained base directory will have the name commons-lang3-3.4-SNAPSHOT
(without the '-bin').

Luckily this whole thing only get's confusing when building from trunk and
inspecting the generated archives.
My suggestion would be to change all src.xml files to have the line

<baseDirectory>${project.build.finalName}-src</baseDirectory>

and all bin.xml descriptors to have the line

<baseDirectory>${project.build.finalName}-bin</baseDirectory>

this way it will work for releases and for trunk builds and src and bin
distribution work the same.

WDYT?

Benedikt

--