commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [ALL] Too much traffic on the "dev" ML
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2015 20:17:15 GMT
On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 09:58:12 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
> On 1/16/15 5:05 AM, Jörg Schaible wrote:
>> Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
>>
>>> If the volume of messages discourages new contributors from joining
>>> the
>>> project that's indeed an issue.

Two or three people said so.

>>> We had an average of 400 messages per
>>> month in 2014,

Between 2014-10-21 and now, the count of messages addressed to one of
the
"commons" lists is 4387, that is an average of about 50 per day (1500
per
month).

>>> that's on par with maven-dev, half of tomcat-dev and 1/7
>>> of lucene-dev.

The problem is not primarily "dev", it is that some people simply
cannot
spend even more time to cater for all the Commons projects; yet we
receive
all the notifications.
It's basic care for others' comfort to fix this at the source.
Is it so difficult to understand that I don't want to be flooded with
notifications of commits to a codebase which I don't contribute to?

> It's also significantly below where Commons used to be when we had a
> *lot* more active committers and contributors.

So it can be worse. That's very comforting indeed.

Gilles