commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [ALL] Too much traffic on the "dev" ML
Date Sat, 17 Jan 2015 15:36:55 GMT
On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 15:00:34 +0000, sebb wrote:
> On 17 January 2015 at 14:23, Gilles <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org>
> wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 16:00:45 -0600, Ole Ersoy wrote:
>>>
>>> I agree - we're hung up on a clown from the 90s.  It's so much
>>> simpler click watch on github and get notifications.  Also
>>> stackoverflow has a much broader Java community and having traffic
>>> go
>>> through it could benefit this community.
>>

>> I'm afraid that the main problem is not the tool.
>>
>> Step 1: an issue is felt as a problem by some people (from the
>>         community or might-be contributors)
>> Step 2: people (from the community) who don't feel the problem
>>         try to demonstrate that there isn't a problem, thus
>>         dismissing the (argumented) feeling of others
>>
>> This can destroy a community, or at least prevent its expansion.
>> [And the "Commons" project's (with the word "project" as in "an
>> Apache project") community certainly does not benefit from a
>> pool of contributors commensurate with its purported goal and
>> user base.]
>>
>> On the practical side, I'm not (yet) against having a single "dev"
>> list: discussions about design are usually interesting even if
>> applied to another project's codebase (with the the word "project"
>> as in "programming project").
>>
>> But lately, the flood of automatic notifications (commits and CI)
>> has drowned the useful discussions.
>
> commits are already sent to a separate list.

The more stringent problem is getting _all_ the projects' commits!

> I have just recently changed Continuum and the Jenkins Math job to
> use
> commits as well.
>
> What other automatic notifications are still affecting the dev list?
>
> Maybe they can be redirected elsewhere.
>
>> For people who do not contribute to a project (i.e. neither
>> providing code nor checking it), a commit diff is just noise
>> because they lack context (not being aquainted with the codebase).
>
> Indeed, which is why it is good that they are sent to a different
> mailing list.

Good, yes. Enough, no.

>> The Commons community's implied answer to the stated fact is
>> that people who feel that way should change their perception of
>> reality, or go away.
>>
>> The respectful answer would be to solve the problem with the
>> readily available technology of the 1990s: separate MLs for
>> each project's _notifications_ (with the word "project" as in
>> "programming project").
>
> As already previously noted, the PMC are responsible for oversight
> and
> so must see all the commits.

No, they _must_ not. Because you cannot enforce the "must". [As noted
by several people, they use filters...]
People do what they want, and what they can.

The number of people voting for any one release of a given
(programming) project is proof enough that not everybody checks
everything.
Even those who vote "should" review, but not necessarily do so
extensively (if, for example, what is more important for them is
that the release happens).
[To avoid instant flaming, I immediately stress that it is _not_
to say that Apache should publish unreviewed code...]

> Would it really make enough of a difference to non-PMC members to be
> worth the additional work (ours and Infra) of setting up individual
> commit lists?

The result would be worth it; oh, yes!

Unfortunately, I cannot imagine how much work this is going to be,
as I never delved into commit trigger scripts.

Gilles