commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [Math] Maven profile for running the examples?
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2015 11:58:25 GMT
On Tue, 06 Jan 2015 08:51:32 +0100, Thomas Neidhart wrote:
> On 01/05/2015 11:58 PM, Gilles wrote:
>> On Mon, 5 Jan 2015 23:48:43 +0100, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:

>>> I wont mention multiple modules (also this might be a case where it
>>> makes sense, especially if you want to create a dedicated example
>>> jar
>>> file with its own set of dependencies and as it might avoid calling
>>> ant scripts for it), but I would keep the source separated and
>>> rather
>>> add an additional source directory (with the buildhelper).
>>>
>>> <plugin>
>>>     <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
>>>     <artifactId>build-helper-maven-plugin</artifactId>
>>>     <executions>
>>>         <execution>
>>>             <phase>initialize</phase>
>>>             <configuration>
>>>                 <sources>
>>>                     <source>src/userguide/java</source>
>>>                 </sources>
>>>             </configuration>
>>>         </execution>
>>>     </executions>
>>> </plugin>
>>>
>>> NB: this will produce classes on target/classes so you need to
>>> exclude
>>> them in the JAR.
>>>

>> Thanks.
>> I find it cleaner to keep the examples separated from the "main"
>> code;
>> so if this does the trick, I'd prefer it that way.
>> We'd nevertheless need that separate JAR that contains the examples,
>> and a mean to select which of the examples must be run, as proposed
>> by Sebb.
>
> The examples can not be added to the main code as there is an
> additional
> dependency (xchart) that we do not want to add to commons-math in
> general.

It was never intended to ship the examples as part of the CM
library. [There are provisions in the "pom.xml" to prevent it (IIUC).]
IIUC, Sebb proposed that the source code be moved solely for
the purpose that maven would compile it with the default config.

IIUC, with Bernd's proposal, this move is thus not necessary.

> An option would be to add it as part of the test code and use the
> "test"
> scope for the dependency but for exactly this reason it was decided
> keep the two things apart (commons-math, userguide).

I have no problem with that, quite the contrary as I write above.

The original issue was: How do we run the examples?
Phil proposed an "ant" script, which I would have happily produced.
But then if "maven" can do it (with the suggested changes to the
"pom.xml"), it's IMO simpler to not have to run a different program.

Gilles