commons-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Seaborne <a...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][RDF] Separate mailing list for Commons RDF
Date Tue, 20 Jan 2015 14:41:51 GMT
On 20/01/15 14:08, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 20/01/2015 13:07, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>> On 20/01/15 08:49, Mark Thomas wrote:
>>> At this point it looks to me like the incubator would be a much better
>>> destination, particularly given the general impression I get of the RDF
>>> community not really understanding how the ASF works.
>>
>> I am disappointed by that comment.  There are several ASF projects in
>> the RDF space.  They have been through the incubator.  Please do talk to
>> those projects if you have concerns.
>
> My comment was overly broad. I apologise.

Thank you.

> My concerns regarding understanding how the ASF works is limited to the
> sub-set of the RDF community that is currently suggesting the creation
> of the Apache Commons RDF component. If that subset overlaps with
> existing Apache projects then there might be a concern but that would
> depend on how big the overlap is (I haven't looked).

As I see it, the Apache Commons has one partcular way of working.  Every
Apache project has its own unique ways of working within the Apache way.
  The talking at cross-purposes is that I look from the POV of the
commons-rdf community (as I see it) and you from Apache Commons starting
point.

So what we are exploring is what the implications of that are for the
commons-rdf community and hence whether it is the best for that
community.  I think we are also touching on scaling Apache Commons -
some the issues are a reflected in scaling the incubator.

Torsten -- interesting that graduation could be to "commons" - has that
happened before?

I would like to see Apache Commons consider naming matters and
trademark-like issues.  Stamping "RDF" across everything would not fly
as a TLP name because of external use and, even if in the letter it is
possible here, I see it as not in the spirit of avoiding confusion for
users.

	Andy