commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole.er...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Math] Java version
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2015 22:13:33 GMT

On 01/16/2015 09:08 AM, Gilles wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 15:16:16 +0100, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
>> Le 16/01/2015 13:20, Gilles a écrit :
>>
>>> I'm interested to know more about this.
>>> Where can I find information?  Do you have links?
>>
>> Sure, Andrew Haley from Red Hat announced [1] two years ago that OpenJDK
>> 6 would still be supported, and we can expect the same support for
>> OpenJDK 7 in the future.
>>
>> Also the installation stats [2] for Debian show that OpenJDK 6 is still
>> strong, about twice OpenJDK 7. And on Ubuntu [3] it's a 10x factor. So
>> two years after the official EOL of Java 6 it's far from dead on the
>> server side.
>>
>> Emmanuel Bourg
>>

>> [1] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk6-dev/2013-March/002890.html
>
> Any more recent updates on the "hopes" mentioned there?
>
>> [2]
>>
>> https://qa.debian.org/popcon-graph.php?packages=sun-java6-jre+openjdk-6-jre+openjdk-7-jre+openjdk-8-jre&show_installed=on&want_legend=on&want_ticks=on&from_date=&to_date=&hlght_date=&date_fmt=%25Y-%25m&beenhere=1
>
> Nice; thanks.
> Did you notice how the global picture seems to change when "jdk" replaces
> "jre" in the request?
> [Not counting the yet insignificant figures for Java 8, but if the trend
> will be similar...]
>
>> [3] http://popcon.ubuntu.com/by_inst
>
> Interesting:
> 193 votes for "libcommons-math-java"
>   0 vote  for "libcommons-math3-java"
>
> What would one conclude from that?
One of the issues with linux repositories is that some, for example Fedora, have a policy
that only one version of a library is allowed in the distribution.  So if it's easier to stick
with "libcommons-math-java", because it does the job, and is already packaged, then that's
what the packagers are going to want to do.

I suspect most java developers would pull in their own version of math.

Ole