commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Math] Creating reports to be included in the user guide
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2015 03:25:53 GMT
On 1/13/15 6:24 PM, Gilles wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Now that we can run the code located in the "src/userguide"
> directory, I'd propose that some examples be written that
> produce various reports for inclusion in the user guide.
>
> A good starting point would be to move
>   o.a.c.m.util.FastMathTestPerformance
> from the "src/test" directory to "src/userguide".
>
> Rationale: it's not really a test but actually a benchmark
> that's only useful through _looking_ at the output.

Why does the report itself belong in the user guide?  Does it help
users make better decisions about how to use [math]?  That is what
the User Guide is for - to help people find things and learn how to
use the software.  If the performance tests help make decisions,
then fine; if not they should not be reproduced in the guide.  Or
are you just suggesting we move the code there so it is easier to
execute?

Phil