commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE][RC1] Release Commons Math 3.4.1
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2015 20:24:42 GMT

Am 09.01.2015 um 20:51 schrieb Phil Steitz:
> On 1/9/15 10:56 AM, sebb wrote:

>>> I can't explain the results linked above.  I have no idea what maven
>>> does under the covers to try to simulate a 1.5 build in that
>>> environment or what 1.5 jdk is actually being used.  The tests
>>> succeed consistently for me using Oracle 1.5-1.7 JDKs under both Ant
>>> and Maven.  I did have to down-rev Maven to 3.1.1, get rid of some
>>> cruft and tweak the Ant build to grab the Hamcrest jars; but the
>>> test goals succeed consistently.
>> Maven does not simulate anything.
>> Instead of running compile and test under its own JDK, it uses the
>> alternate jdk.
>>
>> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-compiler-plugin/examples/compile-using-different-jdk.html
>>
>> I've made this all clearer in the commons-parent-pom docs:
>>
>> http://commons.apache.org/commons-parent-pom.html
>> and
>> http://commons.apache.org/building.html
>>
>> [May not yet have been published]
>>
>> Note that Jenkins only failed the tests *once*; other tests (using the
>> same JDK) have been OK.
>> As I wrote elsethread, that suggests the tests are not 100% stable.
>> Or perhaps there is an issue on a specific Jenkins host; I've not
>> checked which hosts were involved yet.
>
> I just looked at a few of the failed tests.  I suspect that what is
> going on is that tests from the same class are being executed
> concurrently and the test class has instance data.  I did not think
> the pom was set up to allow this and I have never seen this kind of
> failure before.
>
> Phil

When building the source distribution using the Java 1.5 profile on
Windows 8.1 I get the test failures below. ISTR that I had similar
results for previous releases (the OOME is a different story). According
to my Maven settings, a 1.5.0_21 Java SDK should be used.

With Java 1.7 there are no test failures.

Oliver

Results :

Failed tests:
  GammaDistributionTest.testMath753Shape142:350->doTestMath753:297 shape
= 142.0
, scale = 1.0
Old implementation
------------------
SummaryStatistics:
n: 463
min: 0.0
max: 553.0
sum: 177972.0
mean: 384.3887688984882
geometric mean: 0.0
variance: 9958.419960169416
population variance: 9936.911493732765
second moment: 4600790.02159827
sum of squares: 7.3011228E7
standard deviation: 99.79188323791378
sum of logs: -Infinity
New implementation
------------------
SummaryStatistics:
n: 463
min: 0.0
max: 26.0
sum: 1139.0
mean: 2.460043196544277
geometric mean: 0.0
variance: 2.2013220760520977
population variance: 2.196567600725851
second moment: 1017.0107991360692
sum of squares: 3819.0
standard deviation: 1.483685302229586
sum of logs: -Infinity

FastMathStrictComparisonTest.test1:90->setupMethodCall:205->callMethods:180->r
eportFailedResults:156 double toRadians(-4.9E-324) expected -0.0 actual
0.0 entries [12]

Tests in error:
  PSquarePercentileTest.testDistribution:755->doDistributionTest:712 ╗
OutOfMemory