commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Commons Dev List Activity Levels
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2015 23:56:01 GMT
On 1/6/15 4:37 PM, Christopher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With the recent announcement about commits to commons being opened up, I
> joined the dev@commons.apache.org list to follow the activity, for my own
> curiosity, and to seek out opportunities for participation and mutual
> interests. However, I've been a bit overwhelmed by the activity on the
> list, from concurrent votes for releases on sub-projects, to automated
> notifications from Wiki and GitHub pull requests, to ongoing discussions
> about switching to git, plus a myriad of other threads.
>
> So, I was wondering a few things:
>
> 1) Is this considered normal activity for this list?

Yes, it is about average for recent times.  It used to be quite a
bit heavier.  See [1].
> 2) How do people deal with this level of activity? Does anybody have any
> suggestions to a newcomer / lurker?

We are pretty good about prefixing the posts about components with
the component names in the subject header.  You can use filters to
select posts for the components you are interested in if you like.
Some people do that.
> 3) Is there any interest in removing some of the automated notifications
> (or moving them to a notifications list)? If so, which types are ideal
> candidates?

We have discussed this in the past and always decided to keep things
on the dev list.  People can always filter / move using rules if
they like.  It takes a little getting used to, but the "busy list
pattern" [2] is actually a good one for communities like ours.

Phil

[1] http://markmail.org/list/org.apache.commons.dev/
[2]
http://grep.codeconsult.ch/2011/12/06/stefanos-mazzocchis-busy-list-pattern/