commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [math][dbcp][pool] Apachecon NA (Austin)
Date Sun, 04 Jan 2015 01:07:19 GMT
On Fri, 02 Jan 2015 14:45:15 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
> I am thinking about submitting a proposal or two for Austin.  I
> could update / extend the pool/dbcp talk I did last year or try a
> [math] talk.  I would love to have company developing and / or
> presenting either of these.  Is anyone else interested in working on
> a talk on either of these?  Any suggestions on content?
>
> For [math] I have always wanted to do a high level overview followed
> by some real world examples.  It would be great to make the examples
> part a community effort.

It reminded me that I had yet to improve one toy example in the
"src/userguide/java/org/apache/commons/math3/userguide" section
of the repository.
It also occurred to me that I don't know how to compile and run
the applications stored there. :(
Is there a maven incantation to do so?

> For [pool] / [dbcp] I did the boring part last year - summary of
> changes in the 2.x versions, migration, etc. - so this year I could
> focus on examples and best practices.  Again, a great thing to work
> together on.
>
> Another crazy idea I have had is a talk on how hard it is to design
> stable APIs, using [math] as an example.

Is it really hard?  Isn't it rather that some developers just lack
the willpower to support less than ideal APIs? :-}

> That talk would also call
> out some of the special challenges that you run into modelling
> mathematical objects using OO constructs.

That would be interesting.
Are mathematical concepts really more special to model than other
concepts?
I rather think that the issues arise from trying to sort out the
general from the particular, trying to implement generic algorithms
to solve as many practical problems as possible.
This quite naturally lead to desing decisions that may be challenged
by the appearance of unforeseen cases (or better programming skills).

> Might be a little painful
> to develop, but also maybe a little cathartic ;)

It would certainly be useful to understand where the pain really
comes from.

Regards,
Gilles