commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [Math] Possibly wrong fix for MATH-1184
Date Tue, 30 Dec 2014 22:39:48 GMT
On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 21:48:04 +0000, sebb wrote:
> On 30 December 2014 at 19:41, Luc Maisonobe <luc@spaceroots.org>
> wrote:
>> Le 30/12/2014 19:30, Gilles a écrit :
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I don't think I've followed the correct path for updating the
>>> web site to fix MATH-1184.
>>>
>>> Reading the "release howto" I understood that I could modify
>>> the checked-out repository and do "svn commit"; it worked and
>>> the missing files are now available from the web server.
>>> But reading further into the notes, I don't understand anymore:
>>> there is a mention of the "staging area" but that one stayed
>>> empty, and then, of using a link to publish the site (which
>>> I didn't do, yet published it was).
>>>
>>> Clarifications are needed...
>>
>> It should depend on the origin from which your repository was first
>> checked out. If it was
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/staging then it points
>> the staging area, whereas if it was
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production, then it
>> directly
>> points to the live site.
>>
>> It now seems to me the automatic checkout done by maven uses already
>> the
>> production part, so the staging part is not used. Looking into the
>> staging area (using svn ls), it seems to contain only top level
>> stuff
>> (probably commons-site) and not components.

The instructions in the release howto indicates:

svn checkout
https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/commons/content/proper/commons-math

It's clear that by following that, I directly updated the
"production" site; hence my wondering about the following
step involving

   https://cms.apache.org/commons/publish

which in that case should do nothing since the "staging"
area is empty...

> AIUI the staging areas are only used by the CMS system.
> One edits the source using CMS and it is built into the (shared)
> staging area.
>
> Assuming no-one else publishes it first (!) this allows one to review
> the changes.
> Publication involves updating production from staging.
>
> The website document area consists of a workspace for the production
> area.
> This is updated by svnpubsub when the production area changes.

There is no instruction on "svnpubsub" in the CM's release howto.

I updated the "latest" apidocs.  Is there a way to also fix the
"api-3.4" directory.  What is the recommended way to go from the
local site created with "mvn site" to the "staging" to the location
corresponding to release X.y ?

Gilles