commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release pool 2.3 based on RC1
Date Wed, 24 Dec 2014 00:48:22 GMT
On 23 December 2014 at 21:57, Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/23/14 1:11 PM, sebb wrote:
>> On 23 December 2014 at 17:32, Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Tag:
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/pool/tags/POOL_2_3_RC1/
>

>     r1647682
>

>>> Tags are not immutable;
> My tags are.

But someone else could change it.

>>  the vote thread needs the revision.
>>
>>> Release:
>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/pool/
> r7545
>> Likewise, the URL does not uniquely identify what artifacts are being voted on.
>> A revision or hashes of the artifacts are needed.
>>
>> Also need link to KEYS file so can check the sigs
>
> My key has been on the commons KEYs file for 10+ years now.  I would
> expect Commons PMC members to know where to grab that file.

But the vote thread should allow anyone to review the code, not just
those in the know.

>>> Maven:
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1070
>>>
>>> Site:
>>> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/pool/pool-2.3-rc1/
>>>
>>> Release notes:
>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/pool/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>>>
>>> Votes, please.  This vote will close in 72 hours (26-Dec 17:30 GMT)
>>>
>>> [ ] +1 Release this
>>> [ ] +0 Ok, but...
>>> [ ] -0  Really should fix...
>>> [X] -1 We should not release this RC
>> The code contains LinkedBlockingDeque which is based on 3rd party code.
>> There is no corresponding mention in the LICENSE file, this needs to be added.
>
> This is Apache Harmony code.  The ASF license header is there in the
> source.

Yes, but the NOTICE file contains a reference to

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain

This is a license, and if it applies to the code, it needs to be in
the LICENSE file.
If it does not apply, why is it in NOTICE?

I've found what I assume is the original file:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced/java/branches/java6/classlib/modules/concurrent/src/main/java/java/util/concurrent/LinkedBlockingDeque.java

This has the header:

/*
 * Written by Doug Lea with assistance from members of JCP JSR-166
 * Expert Group and released to the public domain, as explained at
 * http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain
 */

This does not look to me like a copyright statement that needs to be
removed to NOTICE.
See:
http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers

Seems to me that a simple mention in LICENSE should be enough.