commons-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Rosenvold <krosenv...@apache.org>
Subject [compress] Importance of retaining exact compatibility for ZipArchiveOutputStream ?
Date Mon, 22 Dec 2014 15:33:57 GMT
There are quite a few extension points in this class that make
changing it really hard.

I just committed  r1647329 which basically duplicates some code from
this class into another class. As much as I hate duplication, I wasn't
able to achieve what I wanted to without A) breaking some extension
capability of the existing class or B) duplicating the code.

We are not talking about the "bread and butter" usage of the class
here but rather intricate extensions I'm unsure of how many people
use. If it was up to me I'd break compatibility slightly an make a
JIRA that explains how to migrate forwards and hence move the class to
a somewhat better state. As things are right now I retained
compatibility by not changing the class itself.

WDYT ?

Kristian