commons-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Seaborne <a...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Commons RDF
Date Sat, 20 Dec 2014 18:35:05 GMT
Phil Steitz wrote:
>  The question we always ask
> about new component ideas is can we grow and sustain a community
> around them.

Couldn't agree more.  As you may have noticed, there is a community and
it's been arguing for years!

 >> >We came here originally.  We found that there is a Commons way of
>> >doing things.  Collaborating with those external people was not
>> >going to work within the confines of Apache Commons - nothing
>> >wrong with that, Commons isn't aiming to be a sole place of
>> >collaboration anywhere.
> How exactly did you come to that conclusion?  The only things I see
> in the archives are*ASF*  "ways of doing things" - using ASF SCM
> repos - now Git is available, discussion on mailing lists, etc.

There was a stated use of this list [1].

Our goal/hope/aspiration is collaboration inside and outside Apache.

Asking people from other places to come over to this list is a
significant barrier.

I'm glad to see git is now available.

> Great, but irrelevant to the question of whether there is community
> interest in a Commons RDF component (I mean an Apache Commons
> component named commons-rdf.  In retrospect, we should have
> anticipated the name disambiguation problem.  At this point, users
> may end up confused if we move forward in Commons and the community
> does not end up combining.)

How does Commons normally handle potential name clash matters? or maybe
it has not occurred before?

	Andy

[1]
http://markmail.org/message/jfl5nm6nyfj3zxgd