commons-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Seaborne <a...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Commons RDF
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2014 22:12:24 GMT
I am rather surprised by the approach here.

There are several RDF-related projects - Jena, Marmotta, Any23, Stanbol,
Clerezza and other that use RDF.

How do they fit in?

reto wrote:
> Following the recent announcement and as mentioned yesterday I've started
> some steps towards commons RDF.

How do those projects fit in?

On the Clerezza list there has been support for working with
/commons-rdf/commons-rdf [1]  No other project has been contacted.

There is a community, with a significant number of participants and
significant discussion, sometimes quite intense, at

https://github.com/commons-rdf/commons-rdf/issues

from both ASF committers and people outside ASF. The work was
communicated to all Apache RDF-related projects from the start.

The hope, at least my hope, has always been to bring this to Apache IF
it got some traction with users. This is stated in [2]

There is SANDBOX-479 still open.  This is a blocker to bringing code in.

Benedikt wrote:
> *copy pasting my answer from the other thread*
>
> We had a similar proposal a while ago [1]. Is the Clerezza RDF library
> related to this proposal? In the end the people around
> https://github.com/commons-rdf/commons-rdf decided not to bring their code
> to Apache Commons, because they wanted to use github for development and
> discussions. They already requested the commons-rdf git repository from
> infra, which is now unused [2]. So if you want to bring your RDF library to
> commons, we can use that repo, I guess... I can help you with bootstraping
> the component and bring up a website.

Clerezza is unrelated to commons-rdf.  Do not be fooled by the many uses
of the word "commons" :-)

There are several RDF systems for the JVM - not all of them here at ASF.
  To build community around the controversial area of RDF APIs (they
have always been controversial since day one in RDF land  - much history).

Starting from one existing project's API is a non-starter, if nothing
else, from a social perspective.  Two major RDF systems go back 13 years.

Having initial discussion on apache-commons lists was felt not to be
ideal to create community across groups not at Apache.

As I recall, it was the details of the commons processes that was felt
to be unhelpful *initially*.  Too many other things going on in the same
list for one.  To engage as widely as possible, we started on github -
neutral ground.

Benedikt wrote:
 > I've created a new component for the project called "RDF" which
 > you can use for RDF. When a commons component is promoted to proper we
 > create an individual Jira project (this usually happens when we
 > release version 1.0).

Now we have a new endeavour here without them.  It is very unfair to
call this "commons" or grab "RDF".

Now I see:

rdf/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/rdf/Graph.java
r1646333 | ...

COMMONSSITE-80: renamed some classes to reflect new terms and standards
of RDf 1.1, Took some names and terms from
https://github.com/commons-rdf/commons-rdf

Please first reach out to all parties and not just copy one codebase over.

I apologise for not knowing more about the ethos of Apache Commons.

	Andy

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/clerezza-dev/201412.mbox/%3C5491AB06.9030601%40apache.org%3E

and thread