commons-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Eckenfels <e...@zusammenkunft.net>
Subject Re: Project Life Cycle at Apache Software Foundation
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2014 14:27:48 GMT
Hello,

not sure if this is the right list to discuss global policies, but
there are global policies by the ASF, which you can find here:

  http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html
  http://www.apache.org/dev/

and there are project (Apache Commons) specific guidelines here:

  http://commons.apache.org/patches.html
  http://commons.apache.org/releases/index.html

Technical decisions (in the borders of the legal policies of ASF) are
done by the developers. Coordinated on the developer mailing lists of
the different projects (this list for apache commons).

As this is a volunteer organisation you cant really assign resources,
if you set up a new project, people need to come together and
agree on a way to coordinate.

Having said that, it is most likely not a good idea to start a new
large project with no existing source with no experience in the ASF. If
you have a good project idea which fits into the commons realm, you can
certainly start in the "sandbox".

I would suggest you propose and discuss a concrete idea (after reading
all the guidelines above). It is better to give advice based on an
understanding what you want to propose.

Gruss
Bernd