commons-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Eckenfels <e...@zusammenkunft.net>
Subject Re: [vfs] bundle symbolix name and major version
Date Mon, 22 Dec 2014 21:57:02 GMT
Am Mon, 22 Dec 2014 21:43:01 +0000
schrieb sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com>:

> > a) follow the math lead and make it org.apache.commons.vfs2 (asuming
> > this does not break anything from 2.0 to 2.1)
>
> If the OSGi bundle name relates to the Java package name or the Maven
> coordinates then this might break things.

Well, 2.0 would be broken, I wonder if it should be fixed with 2.1

> What is the OSGi name actually used for?

The Bundle-SymbolicName is the symbolic name for a JAR. It is together
with the version uniquely identifying a bundle in OSGi.

It is mostly used for other jars to depend on it with "Require-Bundle".
However require-bundle is seldomly used (normally you import packages
instead).

The bundle plugin uses by default the group.artifactid, but that does
not mean it is required to add major versions. I guess it would however
not harm to have a different ID if the packages change, as the bundle
would not be useable for an older consumer anyway.

I guess it is mostly a question on tooling, if you want to see that
there is a new (major) version of a bundle available (which you would
only see if you keep the same symbolic name).

Gruss
Bernd