commons-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Eckenfels <e...@zusammenkunft.net>
Subject [vfs] bundle symbolix name and major version
Date Mon, 22 Dec 2014 20:59:10 GMT
Hello,

in commons-math I see the comment, that the OSGi bundle-symbolic name
should be aligned with the package name (i.e. major version).

For VFS2 this is currently not the case. I can see multiple solutions
for 2.1:

a) follow the math lead and make it org.apache.commons.vfs2 (asuming
this does not break anything from 2.0 to 2.1)

b) keep it at org.apache.commons.vfs because we cannot do this change
in 2.1, but make sure that the 3.0 release uses vfs3

c) keep the symbolic name the same, even across major versions, as this
makes it much easier for osgi range selection. (my preference).

As you normally would only use import/export versions for packages and
there is no problem in havng multiple versions of the same symbolic
name, I think the c) option is ma favorite (it also avoids the problem
of changing the name in a minor update).

Gruss
Bernd