commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: [csv] Object Mapping Proposal
Date Fri, 28 Nov 2014 18:41:15 GMT
This is probably out of scope for a light weight component like Commons CSV. You could use
Hibernate for all your mapping needs.

Gary

<f.ulbricht@qualitype.de> </div><div>Date:11/28/2014  03:13  (GMT-05:00)
[csv] Object Mapping Proposal </div><div>

about 15 years ago I started to write a CSV library. Our company is using it for a long time
now. Over the time a lot of interesting features were added. Now I have decided to replace
it with the commons-csv. This API looks very good and it provides some low-level features
our library is missing (e.g. multi-line records with escaping).

Nevertheless, we have a lot of high-level features for easily mapping between objects and
the csv files. I am planning to migrate those to use the commons-csv for the I/O work. And
I want to use this chance to redesign our APIs.

Now a thought crossed my mind, how about contributing this to the commons-csv? In order to
get an idea want I am planning to do I have attached a sample project to this mail. It is
just an idea, far from being perfect. It shall demonstrate how it may look like one day.

Sure, in the moment this sample uses a lot of pretty cool Java 8 stuff, but there are ways
to make it available to earlier Java versions too.

Please have a look at the class “CSVObjectParserTest” it and tell me what you think.

Thank you,
Frank.

P.S. Looks like my previous mail was ignored because the subscription process was not yet
finished. If not, please ignore the duplicate mail.