commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [Math] Disagreeing about how MATH-1138 has been handled (Was: [math] GitHub vs ASF Repo)
Date Mon, 20 Oct 2014 21:51:42 GMT
On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 19:33:25 +0200, Luc Maisonobe wrote:
> Le 20/10/2014 16:00, Hank Grabowski a écrit :
>> I have some time this week to try to get these changes made to the
>> interpolators.  I don't want to do anything without consensus
>> however.  So
>> to try to incorporate the discussion above plus a concerned raised
>> over the
>> weekend on the JIRA thread I propose:
>>
>> 1. Adding the original functionality back so that the original
>> classes are
>> there, but adding deprecation and very explicit warnings to the
>> documentation that they should not be used.  One release ahead of
>> this I
>> think they should be removed however.
>> 2. Move my code into a new PiecewiseBicubicSpline classes.
>>
>> The changes I discussed in the e-mail that Giles referred to above I
>> will
>> be making to these new PiecewiseBicubicSpline classes, and the
>> TricubicSpline i will do the same Piecewise surname rather than
>> replacing
>> the classes.
>>
>> I do not want to do this with backing outt the existing pull
>> request. I
>> will simply make the changes and then initiate a follow-up one.
>>
>> How does that sound to everyone?  We need to get accurate
>> interpolators in
>> the next release, so the sooner I can squeeze this into my schedule
>> to get
>> this committed the better.
>
> It sounds good to me, but I prefer to wait for Gilles analysis as he
> is
> more aware than me of any problems on this topic.

I'm fine with the plan, as long as we've agreed that whatever is
committed is an "experimental" version, still subject to change
until everybody is satisfied with the new design.
[I'm not referring to the main functionality; I of course agree
that accurate interpolation should be made available. But from
what I've seen, trivial modifications are required to set the
code on a par with what we had usually committed as new
contributions.]

Regards,
Gilles